The most popular imported beer in the US is Corona, a brand owned by AB InBev. It is typically served with a lime or lemon and is brewed from maize, barley malt and hops. Corona Extra is the most well-known beer from the company, and it comes in a variety of flavours and hard seltzer water varieties.
Facts about Corona beer
|Best-selling imported beer in the US
|Commonly served with
|A wedge of lime or lemon
|Mash bill ingredients
|Corn, barley malt, and hops
|Most popular variation
|Corona Extra, a pale lager
|Top-selling beer worldwide
|Corona Light, Corona Premier, Corona Familiar, and flavored hard seltzers
|Launch date of Corona hard seltzers
Who makes Corona beer?
Corona is a Mexican lager produced by Grupo Modelo, Mexico’s largest brewer, owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev. It is exported to over 150 countries and is famous for its distinctive glass bottle with a crowned logo. The beer is often served with a slice of lime or lemon for an extra flavour boost. The name and logo of the brand were inspired by the Crown (Corona) that Our Lady of Guadalupe wore at the Cathedral in Puerto Vallarta.
Corona has been the top-selling Mexican and imported beer in the U.S. since 1988 and was named the world’s most valuable beer brand. The beer is known for its classic recipe that combines water, malted barley, hops, corn, and yeast. Corona has created an identity that associates itself with a relaxed, tropical, white sand beach through its advertisements.
Corona was founded in 1925 by the Cervecería Modelo company in Mexico City to celebrate its 10th anniversary. The original brew was of German origin, as most brewers were German immigrants. Grupo Modelo debated using dark-coloured bottles to preserve the beer’s flavour but ultimately chose clear, transparent bottles, which became a symbol of the brand.
A decade later, Corona Extra became one of Mexico’s best-selling beers due to marketing campaigns associating the beer with a tropical beach. Grupo Modelo aggressively marketed Corona Extra, causing the decline of Pulque, a rival Mexican beverage. In 1976, Corona began exporting to the US, and the brand exploded in popularity, with Corona becoming the top-selling imported beer in the US. Corona Light was introduced in 1989 and remains a best-seller today.
Whom are they sponsoring?
Corona sponsored boxing events on Televisa in Mexico but reduced sponsorship after Anheuser-Busch InBev took over. In the US, Constellation Brands sponsors boxing through Corona, mainly with Floyd Mayweather Jr. Corona also sponsored the LPGA Tour tournament, NASCAR Mexico Corona Series, Liga MX football teams, and the Mexico national football team. Corona was the premier worldwide sponsor of the ATP for 5½ years and the title sponsor of the SBK Superbike World Championship from 1998 to 2007.
Different beverages of Corona
- Corona Extra: The flagship beer of the Corona brand, Corona Extra is a pale lager that is crisp and flavorful.
- Corona Light: This beer is a low-calorie variant of Corona Extra and is a pale lager that is crisp and flavorful.
- Corona Premier: This beer is positioned as a more expensive alternative and has a taste that is slightly stronger than Corona Extra.
- Corona Familiar: This beer has a fuller flavour than Corona Extra and is a full-bodied lager.
- Corona Refresca: A variety of fruit-flavoured, boosted tropical malt drinks.
More entertainment news:
- Who is Ameena from WrestleMania 39? Triple H shares heartbreaking story of young contortionist dancing with Bianca Belair
- Who is Julianne Hough dating? Tyra Banks reacts to Hough replacing her on Dancing With the Stars
- Did Andre Agassi date Brooke Shields? The actress opens up on her tumultuous relationship with tennis legend
- Is Amy Slaton getting a divorce from Michael Halterman? 1000-lb sister’s star recently gave birth to a child as divorce talks gather steam