Cain Velasquez prosecution: Judge denies Cain Velasquez bail in attempted murder case- ‘Risk is too great’

published

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez was denied bail Monday during his arraignment at the Santa Clara County Hall of Justice in San Jose, California

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has found himself in a dilemma, Judge Shelyna Brown denied Velasquez bail in an attempted murder case.

Cain Velasquez mugshot
Cain Velasquez mugshot

The following day of Velasquez’s arrest, a report from The San Jose Mercury-News disclosed that Velasquez shot at a car comprising three individuals – including 43-year-old Harry Eugene Goularte, who had recently been accused of molesting a close relative. Velasquez apparently chased their truck and rammed his own truck into the side of their before firing several shots, one of which struck Goularte’s stepfather in the arm.

After roughly 25 minutes of prosecution by both sides, Judge Shelyna Brown denied Velasquez bail. He will remain held at the Santa Clara County main jail after Judge Brown called his alleged actions “reckless” and stated “the risk is too great” to release him. Velasquez is due back in court April 12.

In a statement released by Judge Brown, it said, “Ramming a vehicle in the middle of the day where are citizens are out driving, going about their business and shooting out of a car at other individuals, which is reckless by any standard. Anyone could have been injured. Anyone could have been killed and when this court looks at article 1, section 12, it is this level of risk that the court must take into consideration. With that said, this court is making the ruling that the risk is too great and that there will be no bail set at this time.”

Dana White, Khabib and Rey Mysterio amongst many who wrote letters to the judge to free Cain Velasquez

The following day of Velasquez’s arrest, a report from The San Jose Mercury-News disclosed that Velasquez shot at a car comprising three individuals – including 43-year-old Harry Eugene Goularte, who had recently been accused of molesting a close relative.

Since then several UFC fighters have expressed their support for Cain on Twitter and also set in motion the ‘Free Cain’ movement. Several fighters like Derek Brunson, Ben Askren, and AKA teammates Khabib Numagomedov and Daniel Cormier had come out in support of Cain. The list of fighters who are agitated by the incident, and ventilating their support is growing into an uproar.

As per a report by TMZ Sports, over 30 people — many famous — penned letters to Judge Shelyna Brown asking her to let Velasquez post bail, which would allow him to mount his defense from home, not a cell.

In addition to the UFC headman and superstars, others like Bellator boss Scott Coker, Bellator heavyweight champ Ryan Bader, UFC contender Kelvin Gastelum, UFC lightweight contender Islam Makhachev, UFC featherweight contender Yair Rodriguez, former UFC flyweight champ Brandon Moreno (and many more) sent letters to Judge Brown.

Fighters and familiar MMA faces have also expressed their disconcertment after Judge Shelyna Brown denied Velasquez bail.

Screenshot 2022 03 08 10 47 05 09 1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9 01
Cain Velasquez prosecution: Judge denies Cain Velasquez bail in attempted murder case- 'Risk is too great' 3

More MMA news