World No.1 Novak Djokovic was ready to call it quits in 2010 after one loss

published

Novak Djokovic also added that the 2010 loss was a turning point in his career

World No.1 Novak Djokovic revealed that he was ready to call it quits back in 2010 after one loss.

The Serbian had lost to Austrian Jurgen Melzer at 2010 Roland Garros quarterfinals, forcing him to think about hanging up his racket.

However, Djokovic added that the event turned out to be a turning point in his career. It indeed was a huge event as Djokovic went on to win three Majors and finish as the World No.1 the following year.

A dejected Novak Djokovic after losing to Jurgen Melzer of Austria in the men's singles quarterfinal match of the 2010 French Open at Roland Garros.
A dejected Novak Djokovic after his loss to Jurgen Melzer of Austria in the men’s singles quarterfinal match of the 2010 French Open at Roland Garros. (Getty Images)

“In 2010 I lost to Melzer in the Roland Garros quarterfinals. I was crying after this loss. It was a bad time, I thought about leaving tennis because I saw it all black. It was a transformation because after this defeat I broke free,” Djokovic said during an interview with Sky Sports Italia.

“I had won the Australian Open in 2008, was the world number 3 but I was still not happy, I knew I could do more but I lost important games against Federer and Nadal. After this, I took the pressure off and started playing more aggressively. It was my turning point,” he explained.

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer
Serbia’s Novak Djokovic poses with the winner’s trophy while Switzerland’s Roger Federer holds the runners-up plate during the presentation after the men’s singles final at the 2019 Wimbledon Championship. (Getty Images)

Djokovic also spoke about some of his most exciting clashes, recalling the 2012 Australian Open final against Nadal, and last year’s Wimbledon final against Roger Federer as the most beautiful in his career.

Djokovic says players expect clarity in schedule

Meanwhile, the 32-year-old, who serves as chairman of the ATP players council mentioned that players expected clarity in the schedule when tennis action resumed.

ATP had earlier suspended all games and Tours at least until July 13 in the wake of the pandemic coronavirus crisis.

“For us tennis players, it is important that there is clarity with the schedule. We will officially return on July 13, but many say that it is difficult for us to start on that date,” Djokovic said.

The coronavirus outbreak has severely affected the 2020 ATP and WTA tennis schedule
The ATP has suspended all tennis-related activities until July 13 in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

The 17-time Grand Slam winner also updated his status whilst undergoing self-isolation at home. Djokovic said that he spent his time at home maintaining his routine. He has been training at the gym and playing with his kids at home.

More Tennis news:

Follow our dedicated tennis page for instant news and updates