Roger Federer will miss the 2022 Australian Open and will be missing a few more tournaments before his return
Tennis legend Roger Federer has revealed that he won’t be taking part in the next year’s Australian Open 2022 and feels he would be “extremely surprised” if he plays at Wimbledon.
Federer underwent arthroscopic right knee surgeries in February 2020 and May 2020. Federer has played five tournaments since having those surgeries, all of which came this season.
In an interview with the Swiss publication Le Matin, the former World No.1 said:
“I will be able to resume running quietly in January and resume sessions on the court with complex support in March or April.”
“I therefore estimate my return to competition in the summer of 2022. I would be extremely surprised if I could play Wimbledon.”
Last month, Federer dropped out of the top-10 in the ATP rankings. This was for the very first time since January 2017 that the 20-time Grand Slam champion crashed out of the top-10 rankings in men’s tennis.
The 40-year-old has not competed since his Wimbledon quarter-final defeat where he aggravated his knee injury and was forced to undergo a third surgery. He didn’t take the court in the French Open and US Open as well.
Earlier, this week Federer cknowledged the fact that there is no thing such as a perfect retirement as he is thinking about his next step in his career.
However, despite reports that he might call it a day soon, the 40-year-old will be hoping to make a return in 2022 and end his glorious career on his terms as he continues to recover from injuries.
A respected tennis analyst Darren Cahill last week said that Federer is working hard and doing everything possible so that he can be fit in time for the Australian Open.
But the man himself has now ended all the rumours by saying that it’s impossible for him to play Aus Open 2022 which is scheduled to start from January 17.
Novak Djokovic’s Australian Open participation in doubt
Having won nine Australian Open is surely his favorite tournament and he will be favourite to win if he participates. However, his participation is still in doubt as he has refused the Covid-19 jab as of now.
More Tennis News
- Naomi Osaka shares statement over missing Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai
- Roger Federer opens up on no “perfect retirement”
- Former tennis great Patrick McEnroe backs Rafael Nadal to win three more French Open titles
Djokovic declined to reveal his vaccination status earlier in October and said he was unsure if he would defend his title at Melbourne Park as authorities work out Covid-19 restrictions for the tournament.
Follow our dedicated Tennis page for instant Tennis news and updates